Skip to content

My pix & Con report

Re: My pix & Con report

Postby Kyva » 11/05/2010, 9:12

Nurple you still owe us a Clint Eastwood story!!
Kyva

Postby PurpleNurple » 17/05/2010, 13:26

You're not gonna let up about that one, are you?
Okay. I was young and foolish once - as opposed to being old and incredibly gaga now. :D

In the icy cold November of 1984, I stood in the freezing cold for 3 solid hours in front of the cinema where the German premiere of Tightrope was supposed to be shown, with the man himself in attendance.

Autograph pic and pen held in my blue, frostbitten fingers, I finally spotted Eastwood approaching.
He was surrounded by a horde of photographers and camerapeople, the odd reporter shoving a mike in his face.
As they reached the spot where I was standing, timid smile on my young, innocent face, photo and pen aheld aloft with hope in my heart, the camerapeople moved in on Clint and he stepped aside rapidly, one cowboy bootheel landing smack on my big toe, right by the joint at the root of it.
There was a crunching noise (or maybe just a crunchy feeling? Who knows.) and I yelped. Eastwood turned, started to speak, was pushed forward by the reporters, kept looking over his shoulder at me and the last I saw before he was pushed into the cinema was an apologetic grin and a shrug.

So, not only did I get my toe broken (biggest bone splintered along the length of it, no less), I also didn't even get an autograph to show for it - and spent the next 2 weeks in bed with the 'flu for good measure.

Yup, by and large a typical Nurple story.
PurpleNurple

Postby erika » 17/05/2010, 14:05

oooh I'm so sorry dear ... the paparzzi, reporters are often too dangerous for both actors and fans who are attending the premiere or other .... have no limits, go further to get a picture in more or more words not care to endanger people .... Eastwood certainly have been hectic minutes and decidedly ugly, but he realized what was happening to you ..... sure his eyes did not give to you a new phone :|
thanks for this sign , made by Jenks
erika
Moderatore

Postby Ginevra17 » 17/05/2010, 19:42

:o Poor you! I can imagine the pain.. actually no, I've never had a broken toe XD but anyway, I'm sorry :( for both you and your toe XD
And I agree with Erica about the rudeness of the paparazzi :x
banner made by Jenks
My TwitterMy Tumblr
Ginevra17

Postby PurpleNurple » 17/05/2010, 20:06

Well, breaking a toe is a very Zen experience. There is nothing much you can do about it, really, except wait for it to pass.
I don't know why I had to go and repeat that experience at least 9 times to this day, though.... :D

They were really, really rude, those media people and I can't help but feel sorry for VIPs that they have to put up with that shit and even be obliged to pretend they don't mind (because otherwise they'll be screwed).
I must say back then I hadn't ever thought of that, but ever since, I've been a lot more kind whenever one of them just explodes.
PurpleNurple

Postby Kyva » 18/05/2010, 7:55

Well, at least if you're ever going to meet him again you have a good story to start a conversation... ;)

Thanks for sharing but seriousely that's aweful! You should have sued somebody!

I've noticed that in Europe mediapeople, securities and staffmembers at big events are often so nervous about having big stars around that they become extremly rude. So far my worst experience was in London... I think they thought I was American because of my accent and treated my like crap even thought I had an official invitation to the premiere and I was all dressed up (not that that should matter much... I'm just saying...)! :roll:
As in Hollywood it is a completely different story. They are always so nice and helpful - I guess because they are so used to the madness. Last year I went to the premiere of "the proposal" and a girl tried to steal my spot but the security guy came over and explained to her that I had been there first and that she'd better not try this again. He even let us know Sandra Bullock's car number so we would know when she arrived and when she did he asked her to give us autographs.
Also without the help of the security guys I would never have gotten my pic with David Duchovny since he is not exactly the "I take time for my fans" kind of guy. :lol:
Kyva

Postby PurpleNurple » 18/05/2010, 8:24

To this day, I wonder where the hell security actually WAS in all this mayhem. Probably stuck somewhere in the middle... Not very efficient.
Ah, well. Water under the bridge.
I actually never waited for an actor or musician ever again, LOL. Not even for Bowie. 30 years of fandom and never met the man.
PurpleNurple

Postby Kyva » 18/05/2010, 8:55

PurpleNurple wrote:To this day, I wonder where the hell security actually WAS in all this mayhem. Probably stuck somewhere in the middle... Not very efficient.
Ah, well. Water under the bridge.

That just reminded me of a very funny story. Jared Leto was in Zurich a couple of weeks ago and my sis and I tried to meet him (we didn't, also he seems to be an absolut jerk from all we heard) so we asked a security guy at the back entrance of the stage if Jared was around and he went inside asking everybody: "Are you Jared?"... :lol: he had no idea what the guy he was supposed to be looking out for looked like! I wonder who he would have bodyguardly jumped in front off if something would have happened :lol:

PurpleNurple wrote:I actually never waited for an actor or musician ever again, LOL. Not even for Bowie. 30 years of fandom and never met the man.

I wonder when I will ever stop doing that... :roll: I think my growing up process is a lot slower than most peoples.

Before JIB I could at least say that I didn't travel anywhere to see someone (I won the trip to London so that doesn't count)... I just checked wherever I went if somebody famous happened to be around and then maybe stalked them a little bit... :)
Kyva

Postby PurpleNurple » 18/05/2010, 10:40

Well, I *have* travelled to Bowie shows, to London once and within Germany, but I never waited backstage or at the hotel or anything.

And let's just pretend we go to Rome for a cultural conference, shall we?
It was embarrassing enough to do this once, but I got away with telling all my friends "Hey, I'll just go crazy one time, that's allowed!" - now I'm doing it again and I don't know how I shall explain that to ANYONE, LOL!
PurpleNurple

Postby Kyva » 18/05/2010, 11:18

PurpleNurple wrote:And let's just pretend we go to Rome for a cultural conference, shall we?
It was embarrassing enough to do this once, but I got away with telling all my friends "Hey, I'll just go crazy one time, that's allowed!" - now I'm doing it again and I don't know how I shall explain that to ANYONE, LOL!

:lol: :lol: same here!!! Everybody told me I was crazy, especially when I told them how much I paid for all this and my reply was always: "Well, you know, it's a once in a lifetime thing..." Now I have no idea what to tell everybody. Also I still have to confess to my friend (not a very close friend) that I won't make it to her wedding because I'm going to another SPN con... yeah, I'm sure she will be sooo understanding!

So yes, cultural conference sounds good. My problem is just that I'm a terrible liar... you can tell if I'm not telling the truth from a mile away and even if you have never seen me before... :roll:
Kyva

Postby PurpleNurple » 18/05/2010, 11:34

Well, it IS a conference with a pop culture theme, you know. So it wouldn't ACTUALLY really be a lie, strcitly speaking.
In the Pirate Code / Guidelines sense of things.....
:D

Or just clamp your mouth shut and say nothing at all.
In case you need any guidance there :D , this is how it's done:
PurpleNurple

Postby erika » 18/05/2010, 13:39

I'm always fan of Robbie Williams, he's definitely obsessed fan .... and he has every right because he had really bad moments with some of them .... some fans in general can not understand that there is the limit at all and to understand that the VIPs they face are human beings just like them .... I have always followed Robbie in his fantastic gigs, he is amazing on stage, but also is I knew where were his hotel I have not ever approached it ... for me, as I am, is a matter of respect toward the person .. that Robbie Williams or any other actor or singer .... that's why I'm happy that there are conventions .. where a group of fans may have the opportunity to meet their idols .. spend hours together to enjoy beautiful .. and with I noticed that everything is "normal" in the sense that there is more than anxiety, the madness that many have before their idols .... but it's really all very "human" ..... And even if I have 37 yrs old I'm so happy to tell that I'm going to conv .. I make my dreams come true in respect of persons ;)
thanks for this sign , made by Jenks
erika
Moderatore

Postby spacegirl75 » 18/05/2010, 15:58

@ Erika, funny that you talk about Robbie as I am a huuuuuuuuge fan too :D The whole time when I was at JiB I discussed with my friend that we should organize a Robbie Williams convention, what a pity that he doesn't do things like that! Because actually cons are a nice way to meet up with stars without feeling like a stalker. I so would go to a Robbie con, and I bet thousands of others would too, we already thought about panels and everything, with people from his band, ex Take That bandmates, videoclip directors, and so on :mrgreen: I'm just not sure if Robbie himself would lie a con ;)

@Kyva: I was at the 30 seconds to mars concert in Zurich as well!!! I even got to "meet" Jared (Leto, that is) after the show at the backstage, actually he was quite nice, even though I never understand how much of it is "real" and how much is "acting"...
spacegirl75

Postby Kyva » 18/05/2010, 21:41

@Nurple: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ok, now I know what it is supposed to look like! I'll try sometime... maybe... ;)

aaawww, I love Robbie too!! He is so awesome. I actually met him once but only for a couple of seconds. He said: "Thank you for loving me" and I have to say: you are sooo very welcome! ;)

I have to make clear I have never really stalked a star. I tried to meet them at public events like premieres, screenings or shows which I think belongs to their job and they usually like taking a couple of minutes for the fans.
The only star that was ever annoyed by me was David Duchovny and honestly that wasn't very hard... :D

spacegirl75 wrote:@Kyva: I was at the 30 seconds to mars concert in Zurich as well!!! I even got to "meet" Jared (Leto, that is) after the show at the backstage, actually he was quite nice, even though I never understand how much of it is "real" and how much is "acting"...

I didn't go to the concert... I don't care about him that much. I just loved him in my so-called life and took a shot because I live pretty close. We tried before the show though and he didn't have time.
We spend some time talking to the band that was on tour with 30 Seconds to Mars and they just said that Jared doesn't talk to them much, they sometimes don't see him in days and that he is very bossy... also we were warned to NEVER talk to him about his acting career while he is on tour because he would get really mad.
But you know... who knows what's really true... I'm happy for you that you got to meet him... after all we heard we just didn't feel like waiting until the show was over even though we knew our chances of meeting him would have been better then. Also it was late and a schoolnight *lol* :D
Kyva

Postby kreespa » 19/05/2010, 13:29

LOL You Europeans and your Robbie Williams...

as for Jared Leto - yeah. From my experiences with him (2 so far?) he was kind of a tool. Especially the whole not wanting to talk about his acting gigs... because honestly, if he hadn't had those, his band would have NEVER GONE ANYWHERE. They ONLY had fans in the beginning because of Jared. Whoever tells you otherwise is lying. I don't care what they say. They may have grown to like the music, or possibly actually liked it upon first hearing, but they would never have given it a listen if he weren't singing.

Hell, that's why I went to the show, back before their first CD came out. If Jordan Catalano was not fronting the band, there would have been FAR fewer people at that pre-CD gig in Boston. And I'm sure if Jada Pinkett-Smith were a dude, Wicked Wisdom would have a much larger following. (I saw them open for Sevendust around 8 times... and that chick is INTENSE!)

I've waited a ton after shows for bands (or gone early).. sometimes it's paid off, sometimes not. Though my favorites know me now, so it's more waiting to talk to my friends (sort of...) than "stars" :P And I've always rolled my eyes at the screaming stalkerish obsessed girls. They ruin it for the rest of us.

Nurple's toe was broken by Dirty Harry. You should sue for damages! :P

And I think meeting Bowie would be.... weird. It's almost like he couldn't live up to the hype or something. Or that seeing his personality might ruin the music. I'll stick with waiting for the smaller artists, thank you. Like Incubus. :D they're awesome dorks.

and i'm rambling..............
resist. unlearn. defy.
kreespa

Postby Ginevra17 » 19/05/2010, 15:39

kreespa wrote:as for Jared Leto - yeah. From my experiences with him (2 so far?) he was kind of a tool. Especially the whole not wanting to talk about his acting gigs... because honestly, if he hadn't had those, his band would have NEVER GONE ANYWHERE. They ONLY had fans in the beginning because of Jared. Whoever tells you otherwise is lying. I don't care what they say. They may have grown to like the music, or possibly actually liked it upon first hearing, but they would never have given it a listen if he weren't singing.

Ehm actually for me is the contrary :lol: I mean, I'm a big fan of 30 Seconds to Mars [even if I've never been to a concert, but that's not my fault: when they come here in Italy they just do one show in Milan which is far from where I live - South Italy - so I have to hope that they will do a concert in Rome :( ]... Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes XD I started listening to their music after The Kill came out in Italy (in 2006, I guess) and only after a little while I found out that Jared was also an actor :lol: I saw a couple of movies of his: I have to say that he's a very good actor, but the movies he stars in are not exactly my favourite ones :lol:

Of course it is a cultural conference! We're all serious persons who like culture very much! :D
I have the same problem about the "once in a lifetime thing": I said to my friends and parents that this year for the Easter holidays I wanted - actually, my sister and I (yes, watching Supernatural is a "family business"!! XD) wanted to do something different, but what about next year? The JIB2 won't be during the Easter holidays again... Sooo we have to think about a better lie!! :lol:
banner made by Jenks
My TwitterMy Tumblr
Ginevra17

Postby Kyva » 19/05/2010, 16:02

@ Ginevra: So you are one of the very few girls who was never in love with Jordan Catalano? (Jared's Character in My So-Called Life) I never knew whether they really exsisted ... ;)
Kyva

Postby Ginevra17 » 19/05/2010, 16:20

I am! :D I've never seen it XD
banner made by Jenks
My TwitterMy Tumblr
Ginevra17

Postby Kyva » 19/05/2010, 17:47

Ginevra17 wrote:I am! :D I've never seen it XD

It's really worth watching and not just because of Jared even though I bet that after seeing it you'll love him as an actor!
Kyva

Postby kreespa » 19/05/2010, 18:09

Ginevra17 wrote:
kreespa wrote:They ONLY had fans in the beginning because of Jared.

Ehm actually for me is the contrary :lol: I mean, I'm a big fan of 30 Seconds to Mars [even if I've never been to a concert, but that's not my fault: when they come here in Italy they just do one show in Milan which is far from where I live - South Italy - so I have to hope that they will do a concert in Rome :( ]... Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes XD I started listening to their music after The Kill came out in Italy (in 2006, I guess) and only after a little while I found out that Jared was also an actor :lol: I saw a couple of movies of his: I have to say that he's a very good actor, but the movies he stars in are not exactly my favourite ones :lol:

right... as i said, when they first came out (the CD before the one with the Kill), and they weren't played on the radio, people only went to see them because it was Jared. It wasn't until their second CD that their music actually got regular radio play. Yes, Capricorn (Brand New Name) was played here and there, but they didn't have anything near the exposure they have now. And I still stick by the exposure spreading from word of mouth that Jared was front man in the beginning -- I know they used to open for bigger bands (duh...) so people would come home from the show saying, "Hey remember Jordan Catalano? well he's got a band now!"

since the kill hit the radio that's no longer the case - especially since many of the fans just aren't old enough to have seen My So-Called Life... or even have heard of it! so no hard feelings meant towards you, i was mainly referring to US fans when they first came out.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's my story. :)

wow... me being off topic much? :P
resist. unlearn. defy.
kreespa

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to After convention (English board)